Share this on...
The Chinese Quest is excited to help spread the word about a new cookbook that is about to be published featuring Authentic Sichuan Recipes titled “Chinese Food at Home” by Jenny Jade. As promised, here is your first bonus. Jenny shares with us her recipe for Chinese Dumplings. Please share this article, and Subscribe to The Chinese Quest because there are still more bonuses coming!
Chinese Dumplings (饺子)
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 3 cups flour 1 1/2 cups water
- 1.2 lb minced pork or beef 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tsp sesame oil (optional) 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 0.5 lb finely shredded cabbage or Chinese chives (or any vegetable you want)
- Start making the wrappers. Add the water to the flour and mix. Don’t add more water than necessary. It shouldn’t be too sticky or dry, like bread dough. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again until it forms a smooth ball. Divide the dough into 40-50 pieces. Prepare rolling surface with some loose flour. Roll each piece into a circle about 3-inches in diameter.
- Prepare the filling. Add salt and minced ginger to the meat and mix. Add sesame oil and small pieces cabbages or minced vegetables and mix well.
- Place a small portion (about 1 tbsp) of the filling into the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with a little water. Fold the dough over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the edges to seal where it is wet with water. Create tiny pleats in the dumpling by pinching it at the edges and along the seam.
- Continue filling each wrapper with the rest of the dumpling filling.
- To cook: Put the dumplings in boiling water. Stir the dumplings so they don’t stick together. Once dumplings rise to the surface, wait for a few more minutes. They should look plump. Take the dumplings from the water and enjoy with soy sauce or other Chinese sauce.
Optional Cooking Methods: you can also try frying, steaming or baking the dumplings.
Demonstrated by Beni Thomas:
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, recipes, etc. For more information, please contact us.