I love Chinese food. I love beef. I love stir fried. I like sesame seeds. I love dishes that look good, smell good, and taste good. And this Chinese recipe for Hot Sesame Beef satisfies all the above, and my stomach below. Enjoy!
The following guest article was submitted by Judi Gamble of “Chinese Traditions and Culture.com”.
Chinese Hot Sesame Beef
- 1 lb (500 g) beef fillet, cut into thin strips
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large head of broccoli – cut into florets
- 1 orange bell pepper – sliced thinly
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chili oil to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro – to garnish
- Mix the beef strips with 1 tbsp of the sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beef stock, soy sauce, ginger root, garlic, cornstarch and chili flakes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok. Stir-fry the beef strips for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Discard any oil left in the pan, then wipe with paper towels to remove any stray sesame seeds.
- Heat the remaining oil, add the broccoli, orange bell pepper, chili and chili oil and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the beef stock mixture, cover and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the skillet and let simmer until the juices thicken, stirring occasionally. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds. Serve garnished with the chopped cilantro.
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, etc. For more information, please contact us.
Listen, guys, I have to tell you. Whoever is responsible for these recipes has to stop. I keep seeing recipes I want to try which means I have to find the time to try them. You should really stop this!
Guilty as charged! But we can’t be stopped! Unless you channel up one of your mobster characters who make us an offer that we can’t refuse. Then we’ll talk. Until then, ENJOY!!
That looks wonderful. I will have to try it soon. But I have to get more sesame oil ’cause I think I’m out.
Did you get more sesame oil? Have you tried the recipe yet? Please let us know when you do, and let us know how it came out!