One of my all time favorite, and go to Chinese dishes is Beef with Broccoli. Invariably, when I can’t decide what to order when I’m taking out, I choose Beef with Broccoli. This dish looks easy enough to make at home, and we hope that you will try it as well and let us know what you think of this recipe. Who knows? Perhaps one day it will make our Wok of Fame!
The following guest article was submitted by Judi Gamble of “Chinese Traditions and Culture.com”.
Chinese Stir Fried Beef with Broccoli
Tip: Choose a good quality of beef for Chinese beef stir fries – Or you will find that the beef is too tough when cooked fast at high heat.
- 12 oz (350 g) tenderloin steak cut into thin strips
- 1 head of broccoli – cut into florets
- 2 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of white pepper
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl, then mix in the beef. Cover and let stand for 1 hour, basting occasionally.
- Blanch the broccoli in a large pan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- In a preheated wok or deep frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil and stir-fry the garlic, ginger root, and onion for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli and stir-fry for an additional minute. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- In the clean preheated wok or deep pan, heat the remaining oil and stir-fry the beef until it has changed color.
- Return the broccoli mixture to the pan with the salt and light soy sauce and stir until cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
What are some of YOUR favorite Chinese dishes and recipes? Wouldn’t you like to share your recipe, and be recognized by having it published on The Chinese Quest?
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, etc. For more information, please contact us.
Sounds delicious. When do we eat?