Totally inspired by the Beef and Broccoli I took out last night at my current favorite Chinese take-out restaurant, New Jumbo Taste in New Hyde Park, I searched for some other ways to serve my Chinese beef hankerings. So, of course I turned to one of my favorite recipe sources, and guest authors, Judi Gamble.
The following guest article was submitted by Judi Gamble of “Chinese Traditions and Culture.com”.
Chinese Beef with Vegetables
Tip: when preparing vegetables for a Chinese Beef stir fry – try to cut vegetables the same thickness so that they will all cook though in the same amount of time. For vegetables that take less time to cook, add them later in the cooking process.
- 500 g (1.2 lb) rump steak cut into thin strips
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz snow peas
- ½ cup beef stock
- 9 oz baby spinach, shredded
- freshly cooked rice or noodles
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp superfine sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- To make the marinade, mix the sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, garlic and sesame oil in a bowl.
- Add the beef to the mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to marinade for 30 minutes, then remove the beef and discard the marinade.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a skillet or wok.
- Stir-fry the beef for 2 minutes until medium-rare. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch and soy sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil into the skillet, add the broccoli, carrots, and snow peas and stir fry for 2 minutes over high heat.
- Add the stock, cover the skillet, and steam for 1 minute.
- Stir in the spinach, beef and the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook until the juices boil and thicken.
- Serve on a bed of freshly cooked rice or vegetables.
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, etc. For more information, please contact us.