Share this on...
I used to be a total carnivore. Growing up I preferred meat with my meat. Vegetables? Thanks, but no thanks. If the dog would turn up his nose at them under the table, why would I even want to try them? The continued to my taste in Chinese food. As a young lad, all I would eat was spareribs. Mind you I still love spareribs.
The vegetables I was served at other people’s house’s (my Grandmother finally gave up and never even tried to get me to eat them) were always mushy, yucky, bland, and ugh. Oh I would eat vegetables. But only if they were RAW!
And then, like a right of passage, my palate came of age, and I opened my mind to vegetables. Chinese vegetables. My life hasn’t been the same since. Grams, if you could see me now! I don’t know WHAT they do in Chinese restaurants, but their vegetables are off the hook. Ok, I do know what they do, but that takes away from the melodrama I was building, don’t you think?
Stir frying in a wok, or sautéing, maintains ALL the flavor. The vegetables come out crisp. Serve it up with some ginger, garlic, black beans, or whatever they dream up, and now you’ve got a healthy version of crack. I mean this stuff is addictive. AND it’s healthy! My goodness, I can’t get enough of Chinese vegetables.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Sugar Snap Peas – Crisp, Sweet. CANDY. These are totally dandy!
- Snow Peas – ridiculously priced in the super market, and now I know why.
- String Beans – Crispy. Cooked right, I don’t care what you serve them with.
- Green Beans – These might be the same as string beans. Anyone know?
- Baby Corn – cutest vegetable EVER! Do they grow them on bonsai farms?
- Broccoli – My first Chinese vegetable. I dared to venture in to the unknown with Beef & Broccoli.
- Lotus Root – First time I recall having this vegetable was on our very first Quest, at The Orient in Bethpage, NY. I’ve been hooked every since.
- Asparagus – Similar in texture to the bean dishes. If it’s got that snap, I’m gonna clap!
- Bok Choy – Incredible health benefits!
- Virtually any vegetable… They can do no wrong.
Did you get your vitamins today? These veggies are better than any vitamin in a bottle. Even Flintsone’s!
Humbly submitted for your consumption,
–Mee Magnum (“Chop! Chop!”)