A lot of people have asked us what we mean by Jew Appeal, as it’s one of the criteria used to rate the Chinese restaurants that we review. In its most basic sense, Jew Appeal is something that appeals to us Jews. And that’s because a) We are Jews, and b) We know what we like and we want others of similar persuasion to be persuaded by our reviews as well.
Some have said “Jew Appeal” is a stereotype. And my answer is “Yes. Yes it is”. And I say, that’s ok. For I know that I’m poking fun at MYSELF. For, I am Jewish (perhaps I’m not very religious. But, I am proud to be a Jew… hey, it’s feels great to be one of the Chosen people. Better to be chosen than not, right?). And, if I can’t poke fun at myself (especially since I have SO much great material to work with!), then I have no right to make fun of others. And, you know what? I don’t. We don’t. And we won’t.
But, we will continue to have fun and add some levity to our reviews. Absolutely! Will we continue to write with our tongues planted firmly in our cheeks? For sure! Unless, of course, our tongues are wrapped around some delicious dumplings or lapping up some yummy wonton soup! Some of the best comedians in the world are Jewish. And who do they make fun of first and foremost? Themselves and other Jews! (See Exhibit A: Jackie Mason) There’s a lot of appeal in that. And a lot of good humor! Good clean, wholesome, fun. Just like what we look for in our review. Good, clean(?), wholesome, and authentic Chinese food. So nu?
So how exactly do we define Jew Appeal in reference to the Chinese restaurants that we review? It is:
- Good value – Make us feel like we’re getting more than what we paid for.
- Clean bathrooms – Now you know why I always post bathroom pictures on our Twitter feed at every restaurant we review.
- BYOB! If we can bring our own booze, we save a LOT of money! Good value. Excellent Jew Appeal!
- Décor / Ambiance – Glitz – Put on the Ritz!
- Low Prices – Chinese restaurants should really institute some Early Bird specials if they really want to entice US even more!
- Attentive service – Hey, WE have a long history of slavery… It’s nice to be waited on once in a while 😉
In conclusion, I think I’ve said enough. Too much talk, and the only cure is I gotta have more Chinese food!
Humbly submitted for your consumption,
–Mee Magnum (“Chop! Chop!”)