Worlds ARE Colliding!! THE Holidays are around the corner. The big TWO! Chanukah AND Christmas. Falling on virtually the same day!! ::SHOCK:: What IS a Jew to do? Chinese food? Jewish food? How about BOTH? YES!!! Cover both your bases, and prepare something that all will enjoy. CHINESE Latkes! Check out this recipe and let us know what you think of it.
Taken from the “Potato Harvest Cookbook” by Ashley Miller.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For Chinese Dipping Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grate potatoes and mix together with green onions.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs; stir in cornstarch and salt.
- Pour egg mixture into potatoes, coating potatoes well.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop potato mixture by tablespoonfuls into pan and flatten slightly with spatula; cook 3-4 minutes each side or until golden.
- For sauce, toast sesame seeds in dry skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring pan often.
- Mix seeds with other ingredients.
- Serve sauce with latkes.
Do you have any other fusion (Jewish and Chinese) recipes you can share with us?
Humbly submitted for your consumption,
—Mee Magnum (“Chop! Chop!”)