Happy St. Paddy’s Day!
They say that EVERYONE is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day. Even Jews. And, I would assume that goes for Chinese people too.
But, are there any “real” Irish Jews?
According to one legend the Irish are actually descended from 7 Jewish maidens (and pre-Celtic men) who survived a shipwreck off the Green Island of Eire.
In fact, there are many Famous Irish Jews, here are a few you might know:
- Robert Briscoe, member of the Irish Republican Army during the Anglo-Irish War and twice Lord Mayor of Dublin (1956 and 1961).
- Ben Briscoe (son of Robert Briscoe), former Fianna Fáil T.D. and Lord Mayor of Dublin (1988).
- Daniel Day-Lewis, actor (an Irish citizen with Jewish mother).
- Rabbi Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog, Chief Rabbi of Ireland from 1919 to 1937, later of Palestine and Israel.
- Chaim Herzog, sixth President of Israel.
- Sir Otto Jaffe, Lord Mayor of Belfast (1899 and 1904).
- Max Nurok, Israeli Consul-General to Australia, subsequently Israel’s first Ambassador to Australia.
Here’s my recommendation for the perfect holiday meal:
- Boiled Chicken wrapped in Cabbage
- Corned Beef Dumplings
- Corned Beef with Chinese Vegetables
- Potato pancakes
- Green Fortune Cookies
Humbly submitted for your consumption,
–Mee Magnum (“Chop! Chop!”)