Share this on...
How To Cook Yangzhou Fried Rice
You want to make a simple, quick and nutritious dish? Yangzhou fried rice would be a great choice. Let’s take a look at my easy Yangzhou fried rice making recipe!
About Yangzhou Fried Rice
Yangzhou Fried Rice, one of the most famous traditional Chinese dishes, is a popular type of fried rice. It is well-known for being delicious, easy-to-cook, and cheap. You can find this dish at almost all Chinese restaurants around the world. This dish is not greasy for the amount of oil because it contains many types of vegetable, which are completely good for your health.
In fact, Yangzhou was just a Chinese family dish, made from cold rice and leftover food in the kitchen after a meal. The origin of this famous dish is still causing a lot of controversies. Some people claim that Yangzhou Fried Rice was created by a Qing artist. Others say it first appeared in Hong Kong by chefs from Yangzhou (Jiangsu Province).
Yangzhou fried rice is often used as a main course in big Chinese parties. It not only contains nutrients from shrimp and meat but also fiber from vegetables.
What you need for a plate of Yangzhou Fried Rice
Three main ingredients: Rice, eggs, vegetables. One thing special of the ingredients of this dish: The rice used for this fried rice must be cold rice, not crushed, not stick. There are several ways to cook this dish, here is one I recommend.
The ingredients for a plate of Yangzhou Fried Rice:
- Rice – If you tend to make this dish, you should cook rice early so that when making this dish you have cold rice available.
- Chicken eggs – Egg yolk is the main factor that makes the golden color of the rice.
- Mixed vegetables – Vegetables help the dish not greasy. You can put in any types of vegetable you like such as carrots, sweet corns, peas.
- Ham – It is not compulsory to get ham to this dish, but it makes your fried rice tastier.
- Shrimp – Shrimp is a special thing in the fried rice of Chinese. It not only gets on well with fried rice, but also is nutritious.
- Green onion – It makes the dish more colorful and spectacular.
Step-by-step Guild on How To Cook Yangzhou Fried Rice
Step 1: Prepare all the ingredients (enough for 2-3 people)
- Rice: Get a big bowl of rice. If the rice is still hot, use a spoon to dissolve, leave each grain of rice separated.
- Eggs: Beat 1-2 eggs into a small bowl, stir evenly.
- Shrimp: Peel about 10 shrimps, then fry quickly. You can also use frozen shrimps, just defrost it then fry as usual.
- Vegetables: Cut fresh vegetables to small pieces including carrots, peas and sweet corns. However, it’s more convenient if you buy a bag of mixed vegetables in a supermarket and just take some for this.
- Ham: Cube or use an available bag of cubed ham
- Green onion: Cut to small pieces
Step 2: Cook
- Put the pan on the stove, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, pour the eggs in the pan, turn the eggs piece by piece quickly and evenly.
- Add peas, carrots, sweet corns prepared quickly with a bit salt.
- When the vegetables are well-done, put the cubed ham and shrimps in, then put the cold rice into the pan, turn evenly in medium heat.
- Cook until the rice is all golden and absorbs all the spices (about 5 minutes)
- You can add some soy sauces or fish sauces if you like.
Step 3: Serve
You’ve finished your Yangzhou Fried Rice !
Put it on a white plate and decorate by some Coriandrum sativum. It would be better if you serve this dish with cucumbers or other fresh fruits.
- Don’t overheat the pan, it will burn the rice.
- Oil makes the rice separated, so remember to put enough oil.
- You should serve this dish when it’s warm because if it’s cold, the rice will be a bit hard.
- You also add other spices if you like. Butter and chili sauce are also suitable for this dish.
Each dish is characteristic of its own unique culinary culture in each locality. Yangzhou Fried Rice is a special dish of Chinese, which was created from ancient times and developed by many people all over the world. It is nowadays a common course for not only Chinese but also others from every corner of the world.
I hope you will have this dish by your way. If you have any comments or suggestions, let us know by leaving them in the comment section. Thank you for reading my whole post.
Kevin Richard is the founder of Richard’s Pantry. He spends plenty of time in the kitchen every day because he loves cooking healthy and delicious foods for his family and friends. Cooking gives him a chance to be creative and fun. It’s also one of the most meaningful ways to express his love and take care of his little family.
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, recipes, etc. For more information, please contact us.