Cuisines have different versions around the world. This is true even for a simple treat like jerky. Of course, it would be interesting if you will get to know its Chinese counterpart. But more than that, it would be a great thing if you will know how to make one.
Specifically, the Chinese people pride their pork jerky, also known as Bak Kwa. It is a fine jerky with a very thin slice (much thinner than most commercial jerkies we can see in the Western markets). This is a favorite delicacy, especially on Chinese New Year.
The methods of preparing Bak Kwa is different from the conventional bacon jerky. The latter use dehydration to expel the liquid and moisture from the meat. Meanwhile, the Chinese pork jerky use grilling to make it chewable and palpable to the tongue.
In this article, I will show you how to make Bak Kwa in the convenience of your own kitchen. Don’t worry. The ingredients are easy to find. Furthermore, the preparation is doable, even for beginners. Let’s get started!
How to Make Bak Kwa
- Pork (2 pounds; no fat)
- Shao Hsing Wine (2 tablespoons)
- Soy sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Fish sauce (1 tablespoon)
- Sesame oil (1 teaspoon)
- Ground pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- Five-spice powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Sugar (2/3 cup)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. You have to mix them for around two minutes until they flavors blend in. The mixture should have a thick texture. After this, mix the pork meat in the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 6 to 12 hours.
- Take out the meat from your refrigerator and place them on a baking paper. Make sure the meat won’t touch each other. After this, place a shrink wrap on the top of the meat. If you noticed that some of the meat is protruding, use a rolling pin to flatten them. You can remove the shrink wrap after this process.
- Use an oven with a grill on this procedure. Heat up the device up to 230 degrees Fahrenheit (110 degrees Celsius). Place the meat there and let them be baked for around 15 minutes. This is just the partial cooking. After the said baking period, let the meat cool. When they are not scorching hot anymore, slice the meat into smaller strips and pieces.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Place the meat in a broiler pan before putting them in the oven. You need to grill both sides of the meat for 5 minutes. But we recommend that you should monitor the grilling process, as such temperature can easily burn the meat.
- Remove the meat strips from the oven. Let them cool a bit until they are already good for consumption.
There are certain nuances between Bak Kwa and conventional bacon jerkies. Their taste is truly delectable and sumptuous. They are excellent treats for any occasion and events. Moreover, they provide undeniable health benefits. Therefore, it would be a great thing if you learn how to make Bak Kwa. Trust me. You will have a great time in the kitchen.
Hello, I am Jennifer Smith, a simple housewife with two kids. I currently write on a personal cooking blog called “Jennifer’s Cozy Kitchen“. Obviously, my heart is inclined to eating and exploring various cooking methods and recipes. I am also an advocate of living and eating healthy. If you want to contact me for questions, comments, and suggestions, just message me on this address: [email protected].
The Chinese Quest welcomes original articles pertaining to the Chinese dining experience. Your article should pertain to Chinese restaurants, Chinese food, recipes, etc. For more information, please contact us.